It has been my honor to represent the 11th District in the Maryland General Assembly over these past 4 years. Before turning my attention to our 2018 campaign, I want you to know what we worked on these past 90 days. Under the House rules, we're only allowed to send you (via snail mail) our End of Session Report if you've contacted our office during the session, so I'm posting our update here for anyone who is interested.
I look forward to seeing you on the campaign trail! Please click here to join the Team.
I have served the past four years as a member of the Appropriations Committee. We have crafted 4 balanced budgets and I have worked hard with my colleagues to ensure that public funds are spent efficiently and effectively. I’ve also had the opportunity to work on a variety of issues outside the scope of my committee. These are a few highlights from my past term:
· Education – protected and expanded funding for K-12 education, school construction and school safety; expanded access and affordability to higher education
· Environmental Protection – restored funding to Program Open Space for land preservation; banned fracking; incentivized use of renewable energy; expanded green job opportunities and mandated greenhouse gas reductions
· Healthcare – expanded funding for treatment of opioid abusers; protected health insurance coverage; protected reimbursements for Medicaid and behavioral health providers and developmental disability support workers; prevented pharmaceutical price gouging, expanded access to family planning
· Fairness – reformed treatment of nonviolent offenders in the criminal justice system; reformed how bail is used; restored voting rights to the formerly incarcerated; shielded certain offenses on job and college applications
· Job Opportunities– expanded manufacturers’ hiring and investment incentives; expanded workforce development opportunities through schools, apprenticeships and skill development
· Economic Stability – protected pension program and Rainy Day fund; expanded Earned Income Tax Credit program; mandated paid sick leave; expanded child care access and affordability; provided some tax relief in light of federal changes
We’ve been quite productive in the 11th District over the past term as well. Along with my District 11 colleagues, Senator Bobby Zirkin, and Delegates Dan Morhaim and Dana Stein, we have secured more than $18 million in state funding for local projects, including $16 million for the environmental clean-up of Rosewood and $300,000 to assess whether there are any environmental issues with the redevelopment of the Pikesville Armory.
Most importantly, I have enjoyed listening to and meeting with constituents who care deeply about the direction of our state. When constituents have problems with state agencies, we have worked tirelessly to resolve them. Every day, I feel privileged to be a strong voice for the 11th District!
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about this report or if I/my Legislative Director, Maureen Evans Arthurs, can help you with anything. You can reach us by calling 410-841-3833 or by emailing email@example.com.
I look forward to seeing you around the district in the days and weeks ahead & on the campaign trail (more about that very soon)!
Thank you for having given me the opportunity to serve.